Call Now

Company Tax Return

Company Tax Return (CT600 Corporation Tax Return)

Does the thought of completing your company tax return (CT600) fill you with dread?  Does it always get put off until the last possible minute? 

Unfortunately leaving until the last minute means mistakes get made, things get missed and errors occur.

We’ve made the whole process of completing your company tax return really easy, you won’t have to deal with HMRC, you’ll never miss a deadline and always pay the correct amount in tax.

Stress Free Accountancy Service

Here at Mazuma we understand the stresses involved in running a small business. Our monthly accounting services subscription service can take one of those stresses off of your hands. We help start-ups, sole traders, small businesses, freelancers and Limited companies with their monthly accounts.

Our company tax return service is just one of the many features that make up our monthly accounting services subscription.

One monthly cost, no hidden extras, exceptional customer support delivered by an expert team of qualified accountants

We will do your CT600 company (corporation) tax return as well as

  • Monthly management accounts
  • Bookkeeping
  • VAT returns
  • Monthly payroll
  • Statutory end of year accounts
  • Self assessment tax return

Prices start from £32/month + VAT

What is a Company Tax Return (CT600)?

A Company Tax Return  is the return that must be submitted to HMRC by Ltd Companies after the end of their financial year.

A form called a CT600 is the main part of the Company Tax Return.

A Ltd Company’s financial year can run to the last day of any month of the year, usually initially dictated by the month that the company was incorporated.

The deadline for your Company Tax Return is 12 months after the end of the accounting period it covers. You’ll have to pay a penalty if you miss the deadline.

Interestingly there is a separate deadline to pay your Corporation Tax bill which is usually 9 months and one day after the end of the accounting period. We recommend that all our clients file everything well before either deadline so that they know exactly what they have to pay and when.

You can check when your company year end is on the Companies House website.


What is the purpose of a Company Tax Return?

Your Company Tax Return (CT600) tells HMRC how much taxable profit your company has made and subsequently the amount of tax you should pay.

Taxable profit and Operating profit can be quite different depending on the allowances and accounting treatments used – so it’s important that you either know exactly what you’re doing, or that you get an expert like Mazuma to do it for you.

Who has to file a Company Tax Return?

Ltd Companies, regardless of their size or how much money they have made, will need to file a Corporation Tax Return (CT600) with HMRC. You’ll be sent a ‘Notice to Deliver a Company Tax Return’ by HMRC which will tell you the date by which you have to file. It’s important that you check that this date is correct and inform HMRC if you think you should be filing to a different date.

There are some Ltd Companies that may not need to file a Company Tax Return if HMRC regards them as ‘dormant for Corporation Tax’

How do I file a Company Tax Return?

Ltd Companies can file their Corproation Tax Return (CT600) using the HMRC website or by using a piece of third party software. But be warned! You’ll need to submit your Company Accounts to HMRC at the same time. And not just as a pdf, but in a special format called iXbrl. Specialist software can produce your accounts in this format, but we don’t advise that business owners attempt this themselves unless they have experience of producing accounts.

It is always better to get a professional to produce and file your Accounts and Company Tax Return on your behalf so that you can rest assured that everything is correct and you won;t incur any fines or penalties from HMRC for late or incorrect filing.

When to file a CT600 Company Tax Return

You need to submit your company tax return within 12 months of the end of the accounting period it covers.

The accounting period is normally the same as your company’s financial year. This could be slightly different in your first year of trading. In fact, it’s not uncommon that your first period of accounting may cover more than 12 months.

Companies House dictates the day for the end of your company’s financial year – this is usually the last day of the month your company was set up. You can change your year end if you need or want to, but bear in mind that you can only do this once in a 5 year period – so make sure that it’s definitely worth it!

Your first accounts will run from the day your company was set up to the following year’s financial year end.

As this accounting period usually covers more than 12 months, you may well discover that you need to file two CT600 returns with HMRC to fulfill your obligations. It’s only for the first year though (unless you switch your accounting year end date) –  in future years, your accounts will run from the start of the financial year through to its end, so only one CT600 corporation tax return will be required.

If that all wasn’t complicated enough, the deadline to pay your corporation tax bill is usually nine months and one day after the end of the same accounting period, even though the filing deadline is 12 months.  So you’ll need to calculate your corporation tax three months before your tax return is due.

In reality, most of our clients have their accounts and CT600 completed and filed well before the deadlines so there’s no worrying about those pesky timing differences.

Late filing Penalties for the CT600 Company Tax Return

Fines for late filing can stack up quickly. If you miss the deadline to file your company tax return, HMRC may charge you a fine as follows:

  • One day late: £100 penalty
  • Three months late: Another £100 penalty
  • Six months late: An additional penalty of 10% of your estimated corporation tax bill. HMRC makes this estimate, and you are unable to appeal against it.
  • 12 months late: Another 10% penalty of your estimated corporation tax bill.

The more you file things late the worse it gets with HMRC. They do not look kindly on late filing! If your tax return is filed late three times in a row, the £100 penalties will be increased to £500 each.

On top of that there are separate fines charged if you’re late paying your corporation tax bill.

There are a limited number of “reasonable excuses” that HMRC may accept if you want to appeal a penalty. But in our experience filing on time is the best way to escape the scrutiny of HMRC.

Lets chat about Stress Free Accounts, Bookkeeping & Tax

Book a call with us today, we will talk you through our Accounting Services Subscription and how easy it is to lead a stress free life when it comes to accounting, bookkeeping & tax. We'll crunch the numbers so you don't have to!

Tax Return FAQs

If you’re a small business, limited company, or partnership, then you’ll need to complete a tax return to declare your business income to HMRC and claim any tax allowances. This is called a corporation tax return or company tax return. Completing a company tax return can be a complicated procedure, so you’ll need a helping hand to make sure it’s filed correctly and avoid costly mistakes. If HMRC issue you a company tax return, you must fill it in.
Yes you need to complete a company tax return if you are a small business, limited company or partnership.
Yes it’s completely free and in most cases easy to complete.  However, mistakes can be made which could prove costly.   Would you cut your own hair because it’s free?  I thought not!  For only £75 a qualified accountant will complete and submit your tax return leaving you with peace of mind that your tax return has been completed properly.  It will reduce your stress levels and free up some of your time to concentrate on the important things in life.
Any late submissions will be fined a minimum of £100 by HMRC.
October 31st for paper tax returns and January 31st for online tax returns.

Want to switch to hassle free accounting?